Freight in the City Spring Summit: ‘Driving growth in the North’ was a one-day conference on 3 March 2016, exploring how the freight and logistics industry can work with the public and private sectors to drive economic growth in the North of England.
Over 275 delegates congregated for the free-to-attend event which took place at the Manchester Central conference and exhibition centre, and featured a full conference programme, networking opportunities and an exhibition of both indoor and outdoor exhibits.
Topics covered, included:
• improving connectivity and congestion between northern cities through building a better flowing strategic road network;
• ensuring freight can be effectively and efficiently transported from the Northern ports to the rest of the country;
• urban delivery lessons learnt by London and how the North can avoid similar pitfalls;
• the importance of collaboration between the freight sector, private businesses and local authorities;
• the need for a multimodal freight strategy for the North to support trade and freight movement.
Helen Smith, Head of Logistics & Environment, Transport for Greater Manchester
Bruce Carnaby, Urban Freight Development Manager, Clipper Logistics
Warren Marshall, Group Planning Director, Peel Ports
Gareth Morgan, Senior Business Development Manager, Sheffield City Region LEP
Chris Rowland, Managing Director, MDS Transmodal
Ian Wainwright, Head of Freight & Fleet Programmes, Transport for London